WAITING LIST INFORMATION
Since the demand for housing assistance often exceeds the limited resources available
to HUD and the local housing agencies, long waiting periods are common. In fact,
a PHA may close its waiting list when it has more families on the list than can
be assisted in the near future. Each PHA has the discretion to establish local preferences
to reflect the housing needs and priorities of its particular community.
Preferences establish the order of applicants on the waiting list. Applicants will
be positioned on the waiting list based upon the number of preference points for
which they are qualified, date and time of application. Applicants who qualify for
the highest number of preference points will be position ahead of those who qualify
for fewer or no preference points on the waiting list. An admissions preference
does not guarantee admission. Every applicant must still meet SHA admissions screening
criteria before being offered a Housing Choice Voucher or a Public Housing Unit. Preferences will be granted
to applicants on the waiting list who are otherwise qualified and/or who, at the
time of application processing, are verified to meet the definitions of the preference
described below. Preferences will not have the purpose or effect of delaying or
otherwise denying admission to the program based on race, color, ethnic origin,
gender, religion, disability, or age of any member of an applicant family. (24
The Springfield Housing Authority has established the following local preferences for the Housing Choice Voucher Program:
- Local Residency Preference: Applicant households with a permanent
physical residence in Sangamon County, Illinois. Eligibility for Local Residency
Preference must be demonstrated by having a permanent physical residence within
the jurisdictional area. Physical residence shall be defined as a domicile with
a mailing address, other than a post office box, for which the applicant can produce
one or more of the following: a lease or a purchase agreement, utility bills showing
the claimed residence address, or two pieces of first class mail addressed to a
member of the applicant household at the claimed address. (24 CFR 982.207)
- Local Employment Preference: Applicant households in which a member
of the household (head, spouse or sole member) is currently employed in Sangamon
County for 12 months or longer. Eligibility for Local Employment Preference must
be demonstrated by third party employment verification. Applicants where the head
and spouse, or sole member is age 62 or older, or is a person with disabilities
will also be awarded this preference. (24 CFR 982.207) (30 points)
- Verification of Local Preference:
- Certification verifying local residency preference can be in the following form:
a. A lease or purchase agreement, utility bills showing the claimed residence address,
or two pieces of first class mail addressed to a member of the applicant household
at the claimed address
- Certification verifying local employment preference can be in the following
a. Completion of a Third Party Employment Verification and receipt of said verification
directly from the employer indicated on the form
The Springfield Housing Authority has established the following local preferences for Public Housing:
- Local Residency Preference: Applicant households are currently a resident of Sangamon County or are employed in Sangamon County.
Residency must be on a permanent, non-temporary basis (25 points).
- Working Family Preference: At least one adult in your household is gainfully employed at least 20 hours per week and has been for the last 90 days (50 points).
- Elderly Household Preference: If the Head of Household, Spouse, or Sole Member is age 62 or older at time of application (50 points).
- Disable Family Preference: If the Head of Household, Spouse, or Sole Member is a person with Disabilities at the time of application.
It may include two or more persons with disabilities living together or one or more persons with disabilities living with one or more live-in aides (50 points).
If the SHA determines that your family is eligible, the then your name will be placed
on the waiting list, unless it is able to assist you immediately. Once your name
is reached on the waiting list, the SHA will contact you regarding additional information
which may be required and to have fingerprints completed to screen from criminal
history. Once this has taken place, then you will be sent a notice to attend a New
Participant Briefing session. The Springfield Housing Authority screens applicants
based on criminal history. A qualified applicant may not have a misdemeanor for
the last 3 years or any felonious activity for the last 10 years.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR SECTION 8?
The Springfield Housing Authority will begin accepting applications for the Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) effective April 11, 2016.
Click for more details.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR PUBLIC HOUSING?
Applications can be obtained during office hours (Monday-Friday 8:00 am until 4:30 pm) at 200 N. 11th Street, Springfield, Illinois or can be requested to be mailed via telephone (217-753-5757).
Public Housing applications MUST be submitted in person, mailed applications will NOT be accepted.
Applications are ONLY accepted on Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and again from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at our offices located at 200 North 11th Street, Springfield, IL 62703.
Applications should be submitted with all appropriate documentation as outlined in the application packet for processing in person during office.
Springfield Housing Authority Application
WHAT DO I BRING APPLY?
In order to process your application, you will need to furnish all the information
and/or documentation listed below as it pertains to your household:
- ORIGINAL CERTIFIED birth
records for all members of the household (copies and hospital certificates will
not be accepted)
- ORIGINAL Social Security
cards for all members of the household (copies will not be accepted)
- ORIGINAL Picture identification
of all members 18 years of age and older (copies will not be accepted)
- Landlord Information on residences for the last 24 months
- Landlord name, addresses – verification will be mailed
- Dates of residency
- Address(s) that you resided in for the last 24 months
- Proof of assets
- Stocks, bonds, real estate, checking and/or savings accounts, etc.
- Any other asset information
- Proof of income for ALL members of the household. All income MUST be reported
and WILL BE verified. Proof of income includes but is not limited to the following:
- Employment Information -
- 5 most recent pay check stubs
- Employer(s) name and address to mail verification forms
- Includes ALL employed members of the household
- Pension, Social Security, SSI, etc.
- Current award letter and/or documentation
- Child support
- Documentation to verify amounts received
- Other documents as applicable
- Marriage license, divorce decree, official separation papers, custody papers, etc.